3.2 Using the manual
WOMBAT caters for novice users by supplying defaults for most aspects of
estimation. Essential sections of the manual to ‘get started’ are :
- Chapter 4 on how to set up the parameter file,
- Chapter 6, especially sections 6.2 and 6.3 on the format of the data and
pedigree file, respectively.
- Chapter 7 which describes the output files generated by WOMBAT, in
particular section 7.1.
- Chapter 9 which describes the worked examples available.
The most ‘difficult’ part of using WOMBAT is to correctly set up the parameter file.
The detailed rules given in chapter 4 are best understood following some example(s).
The suite of examples provided templates for various types of analyses performed by
WOMBAT, and a range of different models.
HINT: A suitable strategy might be
- Choose the type of analysis you are interested in, and decide on the
model of analysis. Start with a relatively simple scenario.
- Try to find an example which matches the type of analysis and fits a
not too dissimilar model.
- Inspect the example parameter and input files.
- Read the description of individual entries in the parameter file
(Chapter 4). Compare each section to the relevant section in the
example parameter file.
- Try to modify the example file for your data (& pedigree) file and