WOMBAT is a program
to facilitate analyses fitting a linear, mixed model via restricted
maximum likelihood (REML).
- It is assumed that traits analysed are
continuous and have a multivariate normal distribution.
- WOMBAT is set up with quantitative genetic analyses in mind, but is
readily applicable in other areas. Its main purpose is the estimation
of (co)variance components and the resulting genetic parameters. It is
particularly suited to analyses of moderately large to large data sets
from livestock improvement programmes, fitting relatively simple
Some more info in :
Software paper (PDF file, 2 pages)
- ICQG3 poster (PDF)
- Paper in J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. B
WOMBAT replaces DFREML which has
been withdrawn from distribution at the end of 2005.
- Currently, WOMBAT is available
only as an executable program and only
by downloading from this site.
- Linux : Highly optimised executables, capable of analysing relatively large models
and data sets, are available for 32-bit and 64-bit PCs.
- Windows : A 32-bit version is available, but is slower and restricted to
smaller analyses than the Linux executables.
- Installation instructions are contained in the user manual (chapter
All material available can be downloaded from
A mirror (updated infrequently) is available at